Write down five of your own personal idiosyncrasies.
1. I MUST wake up no less than 3 hours before I have to go anywhere. Even if I have to be somewhere at 7 am, then I MUST be up hours before then. It’s a psychological thing. I cannot roll out of bed and immediately go somewhere. I mean, if I have to, I will … but the whole day then feels “off”. I habitually wake up at 5 in the morning, because … well. Because I MUST.
2. I keep an index-card filing system of … oh God. It’s so bizarre (and idiosyncratic) I can’t even describe it without embarrassment. Basically: information on countries I find fascinating. I have all the countries organized alphabetically, so I just need to flip through to locate what I’m looking for. If I come across some interesting fact I did not know about, say, Serbia … then I must add it to the “Serbia” file. It’s as though I have decided I work in intelligence for the US government … only no one knows!!! Some countries only have a couple index cards to their name … other countries (like Uzbekistan, Montenegro, Iran, Serbia) almost need an entire box for their index cards alone. I don’t know why I do this. It is a compulsion. (That’s where my whole Country of the Week thing came from. All of that came off my index cards.)
3. I don’t like cake. Never have. Never will. Other things I don’t like that pretty much the whole planet appears to like: bananas, apple sauce, coconut … Even just thinking about those three things make me want to dry heave. But cake’s the biggie. Everyone likes cake. I do not.
4. I can’t go to bed barefoot. Even during a heat wave. Must have feet covered.
5. When I buy a new book, the first thing I HAVE to do is put my name and the date I bought it on the first page. I HAVE to. Don’t ask me why.
Here’s curly’s. I am still laughing at her “one clap – two clap” idiosyncracy. Can’t stop laughing! Another great quote from her list: “Bumpy textures and folds FREAK me the fuck out. I’m positively horrified by close-ups of pock marks, cavities, crevices, fibers, etc. When I hear the term “nooks and crannies,” I flinch.”
And here’s Lisa’s. Lisa starts off with: “I will not eat ANY food which requires that a liquid be poured over a bread-type solid before it is eaten. No pancakes. No biscuits and gravy. No milk on my cereal. NOTHING soggy EVER touches my lips. EV. ER.”
Idiosyncratics – unite!!